Let’s face it Dad’s are pretty great most of the time and once a year we have a prime opportunity to celebrate them for all the amazingly dad-like things they do.
As a father myself, to 4 amazing little girls, there is nothing I love more than being a dad and spending time with my family, especially on Father’s Day!
This year I am thinking about how great it is to be a dad here in Montgomery and the many amazing local options available for celebrating the special dad in your life. So I present to you a “choose-your-own adventure” style menu for putting together the perfect Father’s Day with places to eat, shop, and activities to create the perfect Father’s Day Weekend.
Where to Eat
- Dreamland BBQ – located in their exciting new home downtown at 12 W. Jefferson Street you get the best of both worlds. Not only do you get Dreamland’s world-class BBQ but you also get the amazing beer creations from the Railyard Brewing Co.
- Martin’s Restaurant – If your dad is a fried chicken connoisseur then you need look no further than taking him to Martin’s Restaurant located at 1796 Carter Hill Road. One of the oldest restaurants in Montgomery Martin’s has been serving up fried chicken to generations of dads.
- Tomatino’s – An Old Cloverdale favorite for many years you can always get a delicious slice (or three) in a fun environment while checking out the local artwork.
Where to Shop
- The Shoppes at Eastchase – There is no shortage of great places to find just the gift you need for that dad on your list. From Kinnucan’s to the Men’s Warehouse to Books-A-Million there is guaranteed to be something for even the toughest dad on your list.
- The Locker Room – Does your dad have impeccable style? Is he effervescently cool? Even if he’s not you can help get him there with a gift from The Locker Room. A Montgomery tradition for many years, you can find your dad a great tie, pocket square, or maybe even a fresh suit to keep him extra dapper this summer.
- Eastbrook Flea Market – Is you dad a big kid at heart? Does he have unique tastes? There is no better place to hunt for that perfect and “outside the box” Father’s Day treasure than Eastbrook Flea Market.
What to Do
- Hiking at Lagoon Park – My family loves the outdoors and we try to spend as much time outside as we can. One of the “hidden gems” here in Montgomery is Lagoon Park with its numerous hiking trails as well as a great playground over at the Pete Peterson Lodge that the kids love.
- Escapology – Take your dad on an adventure at one of Downtown Montgomery’s newest attractions Escapology. Amazing depth and décor add to the excitement of the “escape room” experience. There is also a Virtual Reality arcade that can be your “dessert” after you make your escape.
- Park & Picnic – There is nothing better than being outside with your family at a great park. Montgomery has tons of them perfectly suited for a picnic and an afternoon out. Some of our favorites are the Cloverdale Bottom Park, the Park at Old Alabama Town, and a hidden gem we love is the park at the entrance to the Fox Hollow neighborhood.
So there you have it, a do-it-yourself menu to build your dad the perfect Father’s Day. Montgomery is teeming with food, fun, and more and the above-mentioned items just scratch the surface so roll up your sleeves and have a great Father’s Day!